Everyone has something that gets them through the day I think. Alcohol for some people. Friendships. Spouses. Shopping addictions. Tonight while I was attempting to catch up on about a million things in my house, I realized that my list of things that get me through the day is kind of extensive.
1. Starbucks. I haven’t decided if it’s a good or bad thing that the baristas at the Hanna Starbucks know my name and drink order. I kid you not, I’m spending about $20 a week at this place. Having an office in the same building is cutting into my shopping budget. But it gets me through the day. (Seriously, ask any of my coworkers or friends….that place is like crack to me.)
2. Celebrity gossip. Listen, we all get a little pulled into it. Thank the Lord for people.com or perezhilton.com. I love getting all my juicy gossip. Which I already blogged about in regards to Charlie Sheen.
3. Laughter in the workplace. What a change. I swear fun was not had like this at previous jobs. I love that my workplace encourages laughter and having fun. Work hard, play hard is for sure a slogan. I love the “That’s what she said” comments, the office pranks and the random “Beer Meetings”.
4. Texts from friends. I love my iPhone. It’s my lifeline. An extension of my arm. I panic if I don’t know where it is. It’s like a personal assistant. But beyond that, it gives me a fast and easy way to keep in touch with friends, no matter how far away they are.
5. Social Media. I love me some Facebook and Twitter. Not just to see what friends are up to, but to catch up on news, celebrity gossip (obvs) and even my traffic report for the drive home. Not to mention, I’ve met some fab people through Twitter.
6. Writing. Besides this blog, I often jot down random thoughts and quotes that help to inspire me. I’m so glad that I discovered my passion for writing in college and am continuing to develop it.
7. Laughter at home. Okay, seriously…who wants to come home and be alone and sad? Exactly. No one. And even though I do live alone (which I love by the way) I still love to have a great laugh with a friend or even throw on Bethenny Ever After and literally tear up from some of the things she says. (note: Modern Family often has the same reaction for me.)
8. People who inspire me. My BFF is first on this list. I keep a picture of him in my office to remind me that I’m a better person because of my friendship with him and that if he can get through struggles so can I. Second on my list, and I’m not kidding, is Bethenny Frankel. Talk about a smart, business-driven, goal-oriented person. She seriously kicks ass at life in general. She didn’t get married and have her daughter until later in life but has the cutest family now. She’s literally worked her way from the ground up and I admire people like that.
That’s the short list of what gets me through the day. I’m sure there’s more than what I’ve listed (including the glass of pinot grigio that currently sits next to me) but those things make me laugh more, work harder, strive to be better and love more deeply. And that, my friends, are the most important things in life.